My wife found this Baconut recipe, a healthy alternative to bacon. There is no denying that bacon is yummy but it is not healthy! You can use this alternative on veggie burgers, pizzas, soups, baked potatoes, BLTs…the list is endless 🙂
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 1/2 tablespoons tamari
- 1/2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups large flaked, unsweetened coconut
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the coconut sugar, paprika, salt, garlic powder, pepper, tamari, vinegar and liquid smoke. Mix until sugar is dissolved. Add the coconut flakes and stir until all marinade is absorbed and coconut is fully coated.
- Spread on baking sheet and bake 30-32 minutes tossing once halfway through baking. Check for doneness at about 27-28 minutes as the coconut can turn from perfectly cooked (dark pinkish brown color) to burned quickly.
- Remove and let cool. The flakes will continue to dry and crisp while cooling.
- Once completely cooled, transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate; keeps for several weeks.
Recipe from Plant-Powered Families Over 100 Kid-Tested, Whole-Foods Vegan Recipes by Dreena Burton