I love the way the house smells while baking this delicious apple crisp 🙂
- 6-8 medium Granny Smith apples, cored and thinly sliced (8 cups)
- 3/4 cup cane sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup cane sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Prepare the filling by combining the apples, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in a bowl then toss until well coated. Transfer to large saucepan and cook over low heat until apples start to release their juices, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle the flour over the apple mixture and cook 4-5 minutes until the filling thickens. Transfer mixture to 8×8 baking dish and set aside.
- Prepare the topping by whisking together the oats, flour, sugar and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Add the applesauce and stir until blended. Spoon the topping over the apples in the baking dish.
- Cover with foil and bake 40 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake another 10-15 minutes.