I had some vegetables that needed used before they went bad so I made this Hearty Minestrone Soup for dinner. The soup was a hit with the family and even better the next day 🙂
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 3 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup chopped green beans
- 2 medium potatoes, cubed
- 2-3 cups shredded cabbage
- 14.5 ounce can chopped tomatoes
- 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 15 ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 15 ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup uncooked brown rice pasta
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon basil (optional)
- fresh parsley (optional)
- In a large pot, cook the onion, celery, carrots, garlic with 1/2 cup of vegetable broth over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add remaining 5 1/2 cups broth, green beans, potatoes, cabbage, tomatoes, chickpeas, cannellini beans, tomato sauce, parsley, basil and black pepper to the pot.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and cook for 45 minutes.
- Add the pasta, stir, and continue to cook for another 15-20 minutes or until pasta is tender.