Another alternative to a hamburger are these yummy Black-Eyed Pea Burgers that I found in my Forks Over Knives Cookbook. I love these things 🙂
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2-15 ounce cans of black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 small tomato, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1/4 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- sea salt
- fresh ground pepper
- favorite toppings
- whole wheat hamburger buns
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place cornmeal in a bowl and set aside.
- Put the peas into a large bowl and coarsely mash with a fork or potato masher.
- Add the tomato, onion, celery, carrot, bell peppers, garlic, arrowroot powder and ground cumin. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir ingredients until well mixed.
- Make mixture into 4 patties.
- Dredge each patty in the cornmeal and place on the lined baking sheet.
- Refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Bake patties for 25 minutes.
- Use a spatula to carefully flip patties and then bake another 20-25 minutes or until firm and lightly browned.
- Serve on whole grain buns with your favorite toppings.