This recipe for Shipshape Joe’s is a delicious alternative to Sloppy Joe’s. I found this in a recipe book called Plant-Powered Families by Dreena Burton.
- 1-2 tablespoons water to saute
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup steel-cut oats
- 1/2 cup dried green lentils
- 1/4 cup dried red lentils
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vegan worcestershire sauce
- fresh ground black pepper
- whole wheat buns
- In a medium pot over high heat, add 1-2 tablespoons water, onion, red bell pepper, sea salt and garlic powder. Stir and let cook for 2-3 minutes. Add water a tablespoon at a time, if needed, to keep from sticking.
- Reduce heat to medium high. Add steel-cut oats and 1 cup of water then cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in lentils, tomato paste, mustard, remaining 2 cups of water, balsamic vinegar, maple syrup and worcestershire sauce.
- Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer for 35-45 minutes, stirring a few times. At 35 minutes, check the lentils. They should be softened and most of the liquid should be absorbed. If not, continue cooking another 5-10 minutes until final mixture is moist, but not soupy.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve on whole wheat buns.