I found this Sweet Potato, Squash and Black Bean Enchiladas recipe in my Thug Kitchen Cookbook. Learn more about this interesting take on a cookbook by watching this video: https://youtu.be/Ar7g_26QWu0
- 2 1/4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons tamari
- large sweet potato, chopped into nickel-size pieces
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- medium yellow squash, grated
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 15 ounce can black beans
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 6-8 whole wheat tortillas
- 1/2 cup soy sation shredded cheese
- Make the enchilada sauce: In a medium saucepan, whisk together all the ingredients and simmer 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cook the sweet potato: Fill a medium saucepan with an inch or two of water and bring to a boil. Add sweet potato pieces to a metal steamer basket and place in saucepan. Cover and steam until tender, 10-15 minutes, then dump into a bowl and mash.
- While the sweet potato steams, heat the oil in a large skillet. Add onions and saute 3-5 minutes. Toss in the squash and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Add the black beans, chili powder, cumin, salt and garlic then cook additional 2 minutes. Fold in mashed sweet potato and maple syrup. Turn off heat and mix well.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cover the bottom of 9×13 baking dish with 1 1/2 cups of enchilada sauce. Fill each tortilla with a couple spoonfuls of filling, roll them up and place seam-side down in dish. Cover the enchiladas with remaining sauce.
- Cover dish tightly with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove foil. Top enchiladas with shredded soy cheese and bake uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Let cool a few minutes before serving.