I was trying to decide what I could have my 2 year old make her favorite people for Christmas presents. During our search on Pinterest together we came across a word pendant tutorial at http://www.thenshemade.com that was perfect! My daughter had a lot of fun making these and kept one for herself as a reward for her hard work 🙂
Things You Need:
- Clay-I used Sculpey Terrra Cotta but any color or brand will work.
- Shape Cutters-I used the cap from a hair product.
- Stylus-I used a straightened paper clip.
- Hemp Cord
- Wax Paper
- Cookie Sheet
- Fine Sand Paper
- Protective Glaze (optional)
- Paint Brush (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
2. Lay out a piece of wax paper to create a non-stick work area that will protect surfaces from any residue left by the clay.
3. Break off a piece of clay and knead it for a few minutes until soft and workable. Roll clay into a ball then press flat making sure to keep a consistent thickness.
4. Take your stamp and make impression into the clay.
5. Use your cutter to make the shape you want then carefully remove excess clay.
6. Add a hole in the pendant for your string.
7. If you want to add a word to your pendant this is the time. I used the end of a straightened paper clip to poke out each letter one dot at a time.
8. To make a bead, take a small piece of clay forming the desired shape you want. Poke a hole through the center of bead and add a design if wanted.
9. Put pendant and bead onto cookie sheet and bake at 275 for 15 minutes. Allow clay to cool completely after baking.
10. Use a fine sandpaper to smooth any rough or sharp areas.
11. You can add a protective coat with a paint brush now if you want by following directions on the bottle.
12. Cut a long piece of hemp string then fold in half. Insert loop (folded end) into hole in the pendant then pull two lines from other end of the string through loop until tight.
13. Add bead then tie loose ends together completing your pendant necklace.
There are many designs and additional ways to make these pendants unique while having fun with the kiddos.